Saturday, June 10, 2017

Farewell, Batman!

Adam West (only the best Batman ever) passed away on Friday June 9, 2017 at age 88.


I watched Batman religiously in the 1960s, and when I saw the first Michael Keaton Batman movie in the 1980s, I was actually quite surprised at the big difference in the tone of the movie.

In recent years I have watched the Batman episodes sporadically on vintage TV channels, but some are so ridiculous as to be unwatchable (the "Shame" episodes come to mind immediately).

Anyway, it was great fun following Adam West in recent years, from his various Batman specials to his hosting of "Batman" re-runs to his appearances on King of Queens and Family Guy.

I recently watched an episode of 77 Sunset Strip where he played a ne'er-do-well. That was so out of character for "Bruce Wayne"!

Thanks for the memories, Adam West!

Hollywood Reporter

Variety
.

3 comments:

  1. A great shame, R.I.P. Adam West. I wasn't surprised by the tone of the 1989 Batman movie, it was what I'd hoped for and expected. However, that's the adult me talking. The childhood me loved the TV show, and I used to run around the neighbourhood dressed as Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the comics, Batman ditched the camp comedy and went back to the Dark Knight image in 1969 or '70, soon after the TV show ended. So I was not surprised by the grim tone of the 1989 movie and its sequels. But I know several people (who were not into comics) who only knew the character from the 1966-68 TV show, and they disliked the grimdark style. Each version of the character was a reflection of its time.

    Mr. West also appeared (well, in voice-over) in episodes of Kim Possible and The Fairly Odd Parents. In each, he played a has-been actor who had gone 'round the bend and imagined himself to really be the superhero that he had played in a TV series many years before. Showing not only West's talent for comedy, but his willingness to be a good sport and take a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of the surprised ones, not having read comic books since the 1960s.

      Delete